Thursday, October 31, 2013

Merry Halloween!


It's Halloween... and you know what that means!  Pumpkins, candy, costumes and outrageous behavior.

I'm not sure which is my favorite part...

Pumpkin carving, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin beer, pumpkin pie... oh my.  Pumpkins are great and all, but in the next few weeks, it will be rotting pumpkin season, and that's no fun.

Candy, candy... so much candy!  I start with my favorites... peanut butter and chocolate varieties... and then get so hopped up on eating candy that I work my way down to the cheap candy I don't even like.  Taffy-like candies and hard-candies are so bad on the teeth.  In the next few weeks I'll surely suffer a sugar crash and a tooth ache to match.

Costumes are great!  There are few times when it is socially acceptable to dress up like a total freak with no repercussions... well, unless your costume was a really bad choice.  But if your costume is really good, you just might win a prize.  People remember costumes!  And it doesn't take money for a good costume... it takes time and wit.  To commemorate the day, I am going to share pics of costumes I wore throughout the years...

1978 - Dressed as my dad, the cowboy minister
1981 - Superboy!  (or Mighty Mouse if I put my mask on)

1984 - A punk?  At least my idea of a punk back then

1985? - A fat clown!

Horseman - Thanks for making the costume mom!


Paperbag Mask - one of my best costumes and it was free!




















8 foot tall wraith - yard decoration I turned into a costume
1920s Mobster - I actually bought this costume

A Chtulhu monster (with protea eyes!)


And outrageous behavior?  That's probably the best part.  I recommend wearing a good costume if you're going to get really outrageous.  And watch out... it could lead to a lot of hassle, but that's the risk you have to take to have a lot of fun.

All of this is optional, of course.  You can sit home with your porch-light off scaring away the trick-or-treaters and avoid the holiday all together.  You can get mad that nobody invited you out and mope around the house.  OR... you could whip up a costume and find something fun to do!  All you need is a witty idea and a little time.  Carpe diem!  Seize the day!



No comments:

Post a Comment