Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Aim for the sky!

"Swing higher!" I yelled.  "I heard if you swing high enough, you can swing all the way around!"

"That's impossible!" said Jake, "I heard a 5th grader swung too high and hit his head on the bars and died.  I'm not going to swing that high."

Yet, I kept swinging, higher and higher... until gravity caught up with me and I was jerked back towards the ground so violently it knocked the air out of my lungs.  And I tried again... and again...

Over 25 years later, I understand the reality of physics, but I still dream of swinging so fast that I can do a complete circle.  Just because a dream is nearly impossible to achieve, doesn't make me stop dreaming.  The risk, effort and expensive resources often put me in check... I could go swinging in a hurricane, build a swinging motor or buy a jet pack... but I don't want to fulfill my playground dreams THAT badly.


I firmly believe life is about the journey, not the destination, and constantly dream up new ideas.  The best ideas are often beyond my abilities or economics.  So, what do I do with such grand schemes?  I mentally file them away, right next to the stories of my grand adventures and my philosophical revelations.

One dream I've had, was to become a writer.  And not just writing legal documents, computer code or corporate documentation... I've done that.  I want to write something creative, entertaining, educational and personal.  And so be it.  My words shall flow into the internet, and some of them may manifest into fictional books.

I can do anything.  I can even ride my bike with no handlebars.



No comments:

Post a Comment